Friday, June 16, 2006

World Cup


I can't wait for Mexico's game this afternoon.

When I was young one of my cousins used to take us to watch professional soccer matches. He lived with us while he attended Mexico City's University and didn't have many friends in the city. He would take my brother and I. We used to go a lot. Now I am one of those people that only watches soccer in the World Cup.

Last week I was able to see Mexico's match against Iran. I was very, very happy when Mexico scored the goals and won the match. It makes me happy because I know it means a lot to Mexican people. I remember how exciting it was when Mexico hosted the World Cup in 1986. The whole country stopped to watch the games and celebrate. The company I worked for had tickets and they raffled two of the seats for each game. I won two times. The best was watching Argentina-England at the Aztec Stadium. People were so envious of me.

Don and I have very good memories of the match we watched in Orlando in 1994, between Mexico and Ireland. Mexico won and it was a wonderful feeling. I sweated so much, because it was extremely hot in the stadium and of nerves. We had soooo much fun that weekend. We also watched most of the games at the Consulate during that World Cup.

That is one thing that I miss about working at the Consulate. We used to attend most of the games the Mexican team played in Miami. I saw Mexico-Brazil, Mexico-The Netherlands, Mexico-North Ireland. It was fun.

I also watched The Netherlands match last Sunday and I was happy for Henny when they won. Today they are playing again and I am sure they will win.

1 comment:

Gosia and Henny said...

Hi Carmen,
sorry to see that Mexico was not able to win the match against Angola.
I hope they will win the last match against Portugal.
But Portugal is a strong team!

The Dutch team won with a lot of hard work and a lot of luck!
We have not a superteam mut they work hard
Wdnesday we have to play against one of my favourites for the title: Argentina

greetings
Henny

p.s. I will post some photos today on Gosias blog