Friday, November 14, 2008

Girl Scout Camping



The leader of Titi's Brownie's troop told me that the troop needed somebody to be trained in outdoor skills before they could go camping. Since she knew I had camped with the cub scouts, she asked me if I could be trained. I said yes, not knowing that I needed to go to a night session and go camping one weekend.

It was actually very interesting. I learned how to do a flag ceremony, how to start a fire, how to make and cook in an oven box, and lots of other useful things. It was so different from cub scouts. We had a class the week before and that night they divided our group of women in two patrols. They gave us a list of items we needed to bring and a list of things we needed to do as a group. We were supposed to cook one meal on foil over coal, another using sticks and another in a skillet over a fire. It took us some time to agree on the menu but we finally got it.

Last weekend was the camp out. It started at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday and it ended at noon on Sunday. It was at the campground that is next to the cub scouts but it looked very different. This was the first time I had slept by myself away from home since Carlos came home! I can hardly believe that but I am not somebody that likes sleeping away from home. I slept in a cabin with two other women and thankfully I was able to sleep most of the night. I made sure not to drink anything after dinner so I would not have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night :-) We were lucky and we had perfect weather, not too hot and not too cold. My favorite part was going on a night hike without flashlights.... Now I need to plan a trip with the Brownies.....

No comments: