Thursday, January 15, 2009

What's happening in the garden in January

Marty asked me if I was still growing vegetables in the garden and I told her that I had become lazy since we started buying our vegetables from the local CSA. I do have some tomato plants that have started to fruit, some herbs like rosemary, basil, dill and cilantro and a couple of okra plants that I started some weeks ago. I like using things from the garden and this week we ate two meals inspired by the herbs. On Tuesday morning I saw the dill and decided to do something with it. That same day we got our vegetable box from the farm and I made a cucumber, tomato, dill and yogurt salad. We ate it with a chicken salad sandwich. It was very good... Last night we had baby greens salad and pasta with olive oil, tomatoes, garlic and basil.

My favorite is this Chaya tree, sometimes called "Spinach Tree". We boil it for some minutes and then use it in place or spinach or collard greens. I got it from Lisa, from GardenWeb, a couple of years ago. It was a small stick in a pot and it has grown into a 6-7' foot tree.

Bananas! I also got the trees from friends from GardenWeb, Lisa and Robin. The first one is ladyfingers and the second one must be "Ice Cream" banana.

The little daisy we got at Rich and Marty's wedding. It is still alive!

No comments: